Pages

20 August 2012

Pancakes!



Sorry for the long hiatus. But in good news, I've decided to get this blog up and running again, so be on the lookout for more posts. We've done some traveling, and I'll be posting about how to find free from food in Paris, Italy, Wales, and of course here in London. Today though, I am sharing our favorite weekend treat- Free From Pancakes. 

With pancakes, I usually use a store bought mix. It's not the cheapest way to go, but it's definitely the most convenient. I really like the Hale & Hearty 4 Grain mix. The recipe calls for an egg and milk, but you can easily adjust the recipe to be vegan. Here's how!

For an egg replacement in pancakes, one mashed banana is a good substitute and it adds a great flavor. My favorite though is 1tbs. of ground flax mixed with 2.5 tbs of warm water. This adds a bit of protein and nice nutty flavor.

 

Thoroughly mix the flax before adding the rest of the ingredients or mix it separately, then add.


The milk replacement is just a simple one to one switch with a non-dairy milk. I like coconut milk a lot, but using soy is definitely the cheaper option- just make sure you use organic.
Note: I like my pancakes really thin, so I doubled, maybe even triple the amount of milk

Now on to the fun part, toppings. I really like Hale & Hearty's Agave maple syrup. It has a great flavor, has a lower GI, and is cheaper, than the all authentic counterpart, but I'm not going to lie- nothing beats Grade A Vermont maple syrup.

As you can see, we were running low on maple topping, so we used jam and powdered sugar.



No comments:

Post a Comment