Pages

17 April 2013

Rule #1 of Living Free From- Failure is OK!

The one thing I miss most from my pre-gluten days is pizza- homemade pizza in particular. Pizza is the perfect, "clean out your fridge, make everyone happy meal," and it's so versatile, you can literally top it with whatever you like. 

I used to buy pre-made, raw pizza dough to save time and clean-up, but I haven't found a gluten-free dough that I like yet. So I decided to set out and make my own.

I followed a simple recipe from the Better Homes cookbook and replaced the flour with an all-purpose flour. Seemed like a great idea at the time, but something went terribly wrong.


This is the first sign that the dough was destined to be disastrous- it resembles Play-Doh.

Going with it anyway...

 I figured great toppings could save the pizza.

After some red sauce, Daiya, and time in oven, it looks the pizza will be delicious after all.
 

Admittedly, the crust might be one of the most disgusting things I have ever put in my mouth.
 
 I suspect the flour was too dense, and it had a real beany flavor that was very unappetizing. Lesson learned? Free from dishes won't always turn out the way you'd hoped, but scrape off the toppings, call it a day and try again next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment